You may not have heard of it, but there really is a Squirrel Appreciation Day. Although not officially sanctioned by any government (that I know of), Squirrel Appreciation Day was founded by wildlife rehabilitator Christy Hargrove in 2001, and it falls on January 21st of each year. He believes that a good way to commemorate this winter holiday would be by putting out some extra food for the squirrels in your yard. In the slideshow below, you can see an Eastern gray squirrel helping himself to food from one of my bird feeders.
- Ohio Turkey Hunting Season – Spring 2013
- Did you know that Ohio has a floating island filled with carnivorous plants in the middle of Buckeye Lake? June 15th, the Greater Buckeye Lake Historical Society and Museum is hosting their annual Cranberry Bog Day with boat tours (small fee) visiting the island. See our write-up from last year's visit here.
- Summer Solstice Events in Ohio – 2013
- 2013 Photo contests
Where is Ohio?
Nice to Know
Trek Ohio Authors
- Bob Platt
- Deb Platt
- Lakeside Daisy State Nature Preserve
- Gallagher Fen State Nature Preserve
- Glen Helen Nature Preserve
- April Wildflowers at Fort Hill
- Butterflies that Punctuate: The Eastern Comma and the Question Mark
- Lake Katharine State Nature Preserve
- April Wildflowers at Lake Katharine State Nature Preserve
- Common Spring Wildflowers in Ohio