In late February, March, and April, state, county, and other parks are sponsoring a variety of maple syrup related events across the state of Ohio.
Natural maple syrup is made from the sap of maple trees in the springtime. The sap is collected and boiled till it is a thick syrup suitable for a stack of pancakes, waffles, or French toast. Native Americans were the first to discover the wonders of maple syrup and introduced it to European settlers. The Canadian province of Quebec produces three-quarter of the world’s maple syrup. Ohio is the fifth largest producer of maple syrup in the United States.
Note: some events (pancake breakfasts) have a fee and some require reservations. Click on the events link for details.
- Camp Lazarus – Maple Syrup Festival
- Pancake feast, maple syrup making and other activities
9 AM – 4 PM; March 4 & 11, 2017
- Dawes Arboretum – Maple Syrup Days
- Watch maple syrup being made
10AM-4PM; Feb 25 – Mar 12, 2017
- Dawes Arboretum – Maple Syrup Madness Guided Tours
- Tour of maple making facilities on Saturdays
2 PM – 3 PM; Feb 25, Mar 4, & Mar 11 2017
- Slate Run Farm – Maple Time
- Sample maple syrup and learn about its making. I cannot find anything at the park’s official site about this event which gives me pause. But according to HockingHills.com the event is being held as follows:
1 PM – 3 PM; Feb 25, 2017
Call 614-833-1880 for information
- Stratford Ecological Center – Maple Sugar Tours
- Tour of maple sugaring process
10 AM – 1 PM; Feb 18, 25, 2017
Call 740-363-2548 for reservations. We attended this tour during a previous year and posted our experiences.
- Stratford Ecological Center – Maple Sugar Pancake Breakfast
- Breakfast & tour of sugar shack
8 AM – 1 PM; Mar 4, 2017
Call 740-363-2548 for reservations.
- Hale Farm – Maple Syrup Festival and Pancake Breakfast
- Learn about tree tapping, maple sugar process, oxen demonstration, and more!
10 AM – 4 PM; March 11, 12, 18, 19, 2017
Call 330-666-3711 x1720 for information
- Lake Metroparks Farm Park – Maple Sugaring Weekends
- Wagon rides, Kids get to tap trees by hand, Watch sap become syrup, Sample syrup on dollar pancakes, pony rides, and more! Check out website for more details.
9 AM – 5 PM; March 4, 5, 11, 12, 2017
- Malabar Farm – Maple Syrup Festival
- Experience sugar camp with live historical demonstrations, horse drawn wagon rides, food and maple products for sale.
Noon – 4 PM; March 4, 5, 11, 12, 2017
We attended this festival in a previous year and posted our experiences.
- North Chagrin Reservation (Cleveland Metro Parks) – Maple Sugaring
- Experience every step of the process of making maple syrup, concluding with a snack of pancakes and toppings
6:30 – 8 PM; March 17, 2017
Call 440-734-6660 for information
- Rocky River Reservation (Cleveland Metro Parks) – History of Maple Sugaring
- Watch maple syrup being made on Saturdays and Sundays
11 AM – 4 PM; March 4, 5, 11, 12, 18, 19, 2017
Call 440-734-6660 for information
Buy at Amazon: real maple syrup
- Indian Lake State Park – Maple Syrup Festival
- Pancake breakfast, tour of sugar bush, wagon rides
8 AM – 2 PM on Mar 18, 2017 and 8 AM – 1 PM on Mar 19, 2017
Call 937-843-2717 for information
- Alley Park – Maple Tapping Festival and Pancake Breakfast
- March 11, 2017
8 AM – 11 AM; Breakfast
8 AM – Noon; Festival
Call 740-687-6651 for information
- Hocking Hills State Park – Maple Sugaring in the Hills
- Watch maple syrup being made and learn about the history of making syrup.
Noon – 4 PM; March 11, 12, 2017
Call 740-385-6842 for information
- Darke County Park District – Maple Sugaring at the Prairie
- Shawnee Prairie Preserve – Guided tours will present the history and science of turning sap into syrup, including a stop at the sugar shack to watch the evaporator; the nature center’s gift shop will be full of maple syrup treats.
March 4, 2017. Call (937) 548-0165 for information.
- Hueston Woods State Park – Maple Syrup Festival
- Maple syrup tours, hayrides, a hike and more!
March 4, 5, 11, 12, 2017 (specific times not listed)
Call 513-523-6347 for information
- Miami County Park District – Maple Ridge – Syrup Sundays
- See how sap is turned into syrup on select Sundays when maple syrup conditions are good (generally this is some time between mid-February and the end of March). Watch the Miami County website or Facebook page where we will announce specific dates and times as they are decided.
Other Maple Syrup Events
- Burton Ohio – Pancake Town USA
- Maple syrup events in and around the Burton Log Cabin
- Ohio Maple Producers Association – Maple Madness Driving Tour
- Driving tour to numerous maple events in the state
- Maple Events in Northern Ohio
- Calendar of Maple Events in Northern Ohio
- Geauga Maple Festival
- Annual Geauga County Maple Festival
Apr 27 – 30, 2017 (Always the last full weekend in April)
- Ohio Festivals
- Ohio Festivals including Maple Syrup Festivals
- Maple Syrup & NW Ohio Woodland & Wildlife Family Festival
- Held at the Williams County Fairgrounds
Sugar shack, tree tapping, collection process, pancake & sausage breakfast, horse drawn wagon rides and more!
8 AM – Noon (but breakfast starts at 7:30 AM); Mar 25, 2017
- Wikipedia: Maple Syrup
- Traditional pancake recipe
- Chocolate chip pancake recipe – my favorite
- Corn meal pancake recipe – Native Americans and early settlers made pancakes from corn meal
- The photo of syrup being poured onto a pancake was originally published by Michael Stern under a Creative Commons License (CC BY-SA 2.0)