Wild turkeys were completely eliminated from the state of Ohio in 1904. They were reintroduced to the state in the 1950’s. Today there are estimated to be over 180,000 turkeys in the state. The 2015 spring hunt harvested 16,652 gobblers.
Ohio Turkey Hunting Season – 2017 Dates
- April 22, 23, 2017 – spring youth turkey hunting
- April 24 – May 21, 2017 – spring turkey hunting (south zone)
- May 1-28, 2017 – spring turkey hunting (northeast zone – 5 counties)
- Oct. 14 – Nov. 26, 2017 – fall turkey hunting (in 67 of Ohio’s 88 counties)
From the ODNR press release:
A special northeast zone and dates were added to the 2017 spring turkey season. After hearing concerns expressed by hunters in the snowbelt, the ODNR Division of Wildlife conducted a two-year study to examine if turkeys were nesting later than in other regions of the state. Biologists found that hens in the snowbelt counties nested nearly two weeks later than hens in the southeastern counties. As part of the public input process, turkey hunters from the northeast were surveyed. The results of the study were presented, and a two-zone approach was discussed at the Wild Turkey summit in August 2015.
Turkey hunting is permitted on certain public lands on limited dates with a proper permit. This includes parts of Wayne National Forest, most state forests, select parts of select state parks, most state wildlife areas, and select county parks.
In our TrekOhio Guide to Parks & Preserves (see regional menu tabs on top of page), we have listed parks by county and we indicate which parks allow hunting. Once you identify a park that looks interesting, please see the park’s official website for specific limitations. Hunters must comply with all state and local hunting regulations.
- During the youth spring turkey hunt held April 22-23, 2017, hunters aged 17 and under harvested 1,895 turkeys. This is an increase of 21% over last year when 1,564 wild turkeys were checked. For details see Youth Hunters Find Success during 2017 Youth Wild Turkey Season.
- Ohio hunters harvested 17,793 turkeys during spring 2016 turkey hunting season. See details here.
Turkey Hunting Information
- ODNR: Ohio 2016-2017 Small Game Hunting and Trapping Season Dates
- ODNR: Turkey Hunting Rules & Information
- ODNR: Obtain a turkey hunting permit
- ODNR: Turkey Hunting Resources
- ODNR: Hunting & Trapping Regulations (web pages)
- ODNR: Hunting & Trapping Regulations (PDF brochure)
- ODNR: Spring 2015 Turkey Hunt Results (PDF)
- ODNR: Fall 2015 Turkey Hunt Results (PDF)
- ODNR: 2015 Fall Acorn Crop Results (hunter intel)
- Ohio.gov: Summary of Ohio Turkey Hunting Regulations – Spring 2016
- National Wild Turkey Federation: Information about wild turkey conservation & hunting
- TrekOhio: The Wild Turkey – illustrated article about wild turkeys at Blendon Woods Metro Park. Note: turkey hunting is not permitted at Blendon Woods
- ODNR: List of Ohio public hunting areas as of Jan. 2014
Hunter Education / Target Ranges
- ODNR: Hunter Education
- NRA: Find an NRA class
- ODNR: Ohio “Becoming An Outdoors Woman” Program
- TrekOhio: Ohio Archery Ranges
- ODNR: Public Shooting Ranges
- WhereToShoot: Private Gun / Archery Range Locator
- NRA: Summary of Ohio Gun Laws
- Twitter: #HuntOhio on Twitter
- TrekOhio: GPS Mapping Apps: MyTrails – a Replacement for Google MyTracks
- TrekOhio: Acquiring Ohio Topographic Maps – sources for free maps
- TrekOhio: Poison Ivy & Poison Sumac
- OSU Extension: Giant Hogweed – invasive plant, sap can cause severe blistering or blindness
- TrekOhio: Camping Checklist
- TrekOhio: Hiking with a Smartphone
- Ohio State Chapter Of the National Wild Turkey Federation – Conserving and Sharing Our Ohio Hunting Tradition
- NWTF: Turkey Hunting Tips & Tactics
- Ike’s Outdoors (Video): Turkey Hunting Tips
- Turkey Tips 101 (Video)
- ForemostHunting.com: Turkey Hunting Tips & Tricks
- Allrecipes: Turkey Recipes
- SimplyRecipes: Turkey Recipes
- ODNR: Turkey Recipes
- Reddit: Gun FAQ
- Ohio Bow Hunting Forum
- Reddit: Gun Forum
- Ohio Man Perched on Top of the World After Turkey Calling Win – Shane Hendershot from Zanesville, Ohio won the Grand National Turkey Calling Championship on Feb. 17, 2011.
News from Facebook
Just look at the grin on this young, hunter’s face. 🙂