Wild turkeys were completely eliminated from the state of Ohio in 1904. They were reintroduced to the state in the 1950′s. Today there are estimated to be over 180,000 turkeys in the state. The 2013 spring hunt harvested 18,391 gobblers.
Ohio Turkey Hunting Seasons 2013 – 2014 Dates
- Oct 14 – Dec 1, 2013 – turkey hunting allowed from 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset. Turkey hunting permitted in limited counties.
- April 19, 20, 2014 – youth turkey hunting allowed from 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset. Turkey hunting permitted in ALL counties (except Lake La Sun An Wildlife Area).
- April 21 – May 4, 2014 – turkey hunting allowed from 1/2 hour before sunrise to noon. Turkey hunting permitted in ALL counties (except Lake La Sun An Wildlife Area).
- May 5 – May 18, 2014 – turkey hunting allowed from 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset. Turkey hunting permitted in ALL counties(except Lake La Sun An Wildlife Area).
Proposed 2014-2015 Turkey Hunting Dates
- Oct 13 – Nov 30, 2014 – Fall Turkey Hunting
- April 18 – April 19, 2015 – Spring Youth Turkey Hunting
- April 20 – May 17, 2015 – Spring Turkey Hunting
Turkey hunting is permitted on certain public lands on limited dates with a proper permit. This includes parts of Wayne National Forest, most state forests, select parts of select state parks, most state wildlife areas, and select county parks.
In our TrekOhio Guide to Parks & Preserves (see regional menu tabs on top of page), we have listed parks by county and we indicate which parks allow hunting. Once you identify a park that looks interesting, please see the park’s official website for specific limitations. Hunters must comply with all state and local hunting regulations.
Update (05/19/2014): Ohio hunters harvested 16,556 turkeys during the 2014 spring hunting season. See the full press release for county by county statistics.
Turkey Hunting Information
- ODNR: Turkey Hunting Rules & Information
- ODNR: Obtain a turkey hunting permit
- ODNR: Turkey Hunting Resources
- ODNR: News Release: Hunting Season 2013-2014
- ODNR: 2013 Acorn Crop Results (hunter intel)
- National Wild Turkey Federation: Information about wild turkey conservation & hunting
- TrekOhio: The Wild Turkey – illustrated article about wild turkeys at Blendon Woods Metro Park. Note: turkey hunting is not permitted at Blendon Woods
Hunter Education / Target Ranges
- ODNR: Hunter Education
- NRA: Find an NRA class
- ODNR: Ohio “Becoming An Outdoors Woman” Program
- TrekOhio: Ohio Archery Ranges
- ODNR: Public Shooting Ranges
- WhereToShoot: Private Gun / Archery Range Locator
- NRA: Summary of Ohio Gun Laws
- TrekOhio: Acquiring Ohio Topographic Maps – sources for free maps
- TrekOhio: Poison Ivy & Poison Sumac
- OSU Extension: Giant Hogweed – invasive plant, sap can cause severe blistering or blindness
- TrekOhio: Camping Checklist
- TrekOhio: Hiking with a Smartphone
- Ohio State Chapter Of the National Wild Turkey Federation – Conserving and Sharing Our Ohio Hunting Tradition
- NWTF: Turkey Hunting Tips & Tactics
- Ike’s Outdoors (Video): Turkey Hunting Tips
- Turkey Tips 101 (Video)
- ForemostHunting.com: Turkey Hunting Tips & Tricks
- Allrecipes: Turkey Recipes
- SimplyRecipes: Turkey Recipes
- ODNR: Turkey Recipes
- Reddit: Gun FAQ
- Ohio Bow Hunting Forum
- Reddit: Gun Forum
- Ohio Man Perched on Top of the World After Turkey Calling Win – Shane Hendershot from Zanesville, Ohio won the Grand National Turkey Calling Championship on Feb. 17, 2011.
News from Facebook
Just look at the grin on this young, hunter’s face.