A couple of weeks ago we spent several days at a cabin at Lake Hope. Lake Hope is one of our favorite parks in Ohio. One of the reasons is the great hiking at Lake Hope, the adjacent Zaleski State forest, and many nearby parks and preserves. The other reason is the wonderful Lake Hope Dining Lodge which specializes in slow-cooked barbecued meat and wood-fired pizza.
Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, some changes were in effect.
- Hiking trails are open at both Lake Hope and Zaleski State Forest
- Group camp sites at Lake Hope and Laurel Lodge are closed
- The Lake Hope Shelter House is close
- The Lake Hope Nature Center is closed
- Lake Hope cabins and camp-sites can be reserved in advance on the web
- Walk-in registration is not available for camp-sites
- Keys for cabins are picked up and dropped off outside of the park office at the dining lodge
- The park office/gift shop is open (9:00 am – 4:30 pm) but access is limited (wear masks)
- The dining area of the dining lodge is closed. Food orders could be placed at the dining lodge and customers were given a restaurant pager which notified them when food would be ready. Customers waited outside till paged, and then could pick up their order. Customers could eat at outside tables or take the food back to their cabin.
- The carry-out menu at the dining lodge is somewhat limited
- Restrooms are available at camp-sites but access is limited to insure social distancing
During our stay we did several hikes at Lake Hope, Zaleski, and nearby Lake Katharine.Lake Hope and adjacent Zaleski State Forest are a hiker’s paradise. Here’s a few articles we’ve written about Lake Hope and at nearby forests and preserves:
- TrekOhio: Vinton County Parks & Preserves – information and location for parks and preserves in Vinton County
- TrekOhio: Lake Hope State Park – overview of Lake Hope State Park
- TrekOhio: Lake Hope Furnace Trail – trail from Lake Hope furnace around the outside of the lake to the (currently closed) shelter house. Roughly 3 miles one way.
- TrekOhio: Zaleski State Forest: The Backpack Trail from Hope Schoolhouse
- TrekOhio: Zaleski State Forest: Moonville Tunnel – rail trail through “haunted” Moonville Tunnel
- TrekOhio: Zaleski State Forest: Lookout Rock – nice vista down the road from Moonville Tunnel
- TrekOhio: Zaleski State Forest: King’s Hollow Tunnel – another tunnel on the Moonville Rail Trail
- TrekOhio: Vinton Furnace State Experimental Forest
- TrekOhio: Vinton Furnace Experimental Forest: Hike to the Belgian Coke Ovens
- TrekOhio: Vinton Furnace State Experimental Forest: Arch Rock
- TrekOhio: Vinton Furnace State Experimental Forest: Watch Rock
- TrekOhio: Lake Katharine State Nature Preserve
- TrekOhio: Lake Katharine State Nature Preserve: Pine Ridge Trail
Coming soon – I plan to write-up a few of other trails we’ve enjoyed at Lake Hope / Zaleski.
More on Vinton County